Monday, May 2, 2011

A Recap of March and April

Wow!  I hate to start each blog entry with an apology but I've hardly had time to sit and digest all the activities of the past few weeks - let alone write about them.  So, here's the condensed version of all my recent events.  I know there are a lot of people who like to know what’s happening here in Honduras and I apologize in advance for May.  This week marks the beginning of the 2011 Honduras Water Project with the King’s University so I’ll be incommunicado until the fourth week of May.  I’ll be with 10 King’s students in El Chapernal where there is no electricity so blogging is going to have to wait, sorry.  Although I’m sure I’ll a few interesting stories to tell once I’m back at home in Catacamas.   (And sorry for the lack of photos but it's taking over an hour to load just one)

March 22-29 – Similar to the King’s initiative, New Westminster Christian Reformed Church in Burnaby, BC makes an annual trip to a partner community in Honduras.  This year a group of young people and their youth pastor, Dave Groen, spent their spring break working in the sweltering heat of El Coyolar, Olancho.  This community recently completed its water project last fall - due in part to the help of the 2010 Honduras Water Project teams from Biola and the King’s University.  Now that they have water, the community is ready for the next phase of their development plan: pilas to wash clothes and dishes as well as sanitary latrines.  The New West group initially raised funds to build 5 pilas and 5 latrines but were overwhelmed by support and received enough for 6 of each and a little cement left over to pour flooring in one house.    

I spent the week working alongside the New West team mixing seemingly endless amounts of cement, making trenches, as well as digging drainage pits and then filling them back up with sand and rocks to act as a filter.  It was a lot of work and a lot of heat but the people of El Coyolar will use these latrines and pilas multiple times a day and will save them lots of time and frustration.  We worked each morning from 6am to about 11 or 11:30am, depending on the weather.  The afternoons were reserved for building relationships with the members of the community – after a nice cool bucket shower, of course!   The youth from New West prepared a lot of games and crafts to engage the children of Coyolar.  They even made a presentation about Canada in the school and brought mini hockey sticks to teach them the basics of the game.  We also had meetings with the women in the village, the elders, and the community leaders to learn their history and hopes for the future. 

All in all, I had a great time working with the people of El Coyolar and the New West team.  I hope it was a great experience for these youth and I also hope I’m still around to help them out with their group next year.  I guess we’ll have to see what God has in store once this year is up! 

March 30- April 15 – Following my stint in El Coyolar, I came back to an office bursting with paperwork and a schedule full of meetings with credit groups and individual entrepreneurs.  We gave out new loans to three of our most successful collectives and which included a total of over 40 clients.  With new loans comes a stack of new paperwork.  Each recipient has to sign over 11 forms and we have to fill in the details by hand for each one!  It takes about 5 hours to prepare all the necessary documents and then about 2 hours to get them all signed and dispense the funds.  It is certainly a lot of work but the program is really effective in supporting local businesses so it’s worth it.  However, I’m hoping that I’ll have more time in July and August to revamp some of their forms and start filling out the data on the computer – hopefully before my fingers become arthritic!

April 16-24 – Semana Santa or Holy Week is the next biggest holiday period after the Christmas season.  The people here spend the week leading up to Easter enjoying the hot summer weather with their families.  Some are even fortunate to travel to the northern coast or to the Bay Islands to soak up some sun on those pristine Caribbean beaches.  I stayed a little closer to home in Santa Maria del Real, which is right outside of Catacamas and is actually where the Diaconía Nacional office and my church are located.  I stayed with a host family from my church so that I’d be closer to all the church activities throughout the week and also to get some experience living with a large Honduran family.  Needless to say, I had a great time.  We ate a lot of fish, fried Tilapia and a breaded fish soup, and an excessive amount of watermelon – all of which is typical of Semana Santa.  We had a day-long youth retreat at a nearby river where we had devotions, swam in the cool water, and I swear we must have barbequed half a cow! 

There were many evening church services throughout the week but the biggest was Easter morning.  All the surrounding Christian Reformed Churches join together for a huge service on the banks of the “El Boquerón” river.  Each church takes turns preaching and leading worship songs and they end with baptisms in the river.  There were over two hundred people in attendance – which is a lot considering most churches have at most 30 people at a Sunday service.  I think these kinds of events are really important to Honduran Christians because it reminds them that they’re not alone, that they’re all there to support each other. 

April 23-30 – Biola University’s Water Project team arrived in El Chapernal.  Unfortunately I was too busy working in the office to join them in digging kilometer after kilometer of trenches.  However, I know that the work they accomplished was a definitely blessing to the community and I am excited to pick up where they left off with the King’s group this week.  Like the New West group, Biola always makes sure they bring activities, games and crafts for the children and youth in the community.  They also bring a few luxury items to pamper the hardworking ladies of El Coyolar.  Aside from being a water project, Biola really considers there time abroad as a ministry opportunity so they prepare sermons, songs and devotions throughout their stay.  They came with a group of almost 30 eager and able-bodied students and they accomplished a lot in one week. 

May 1-23 – It’s hard to believe but it’s already time for the 2010 King’s Honduras Water Project!  Due to an increase in the number of applicants this year, King’s is actually sending two groups to Honduras.  Leader Geoff Brouwer will be taking his team to the department of Colón in the north to work with CRWRC’s local partner Alfalit.  The other team, led by Ashlee Brandsma, will be joining me and Diaconía’s project coordinator, Arturo Colindres, in El Chapernal.  I know both teams will have a great time and that both communities are extremely grateful to be hosting them.  Thank you to everyone that continually supports the King’s Water Project and I hope you will keep us all in your prayers in the weeks to come!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,
    Great to see the activities you are engaged in! You are getting an experience of a lifetime, one that hopefully will leave you with new wisdom, drive and compassion for justice. your Blog is very helpful for keeping up with your work. Blessings as you work with the King's University College teams in May. If you read this before they leave, pass on my greetings.
    Shalom,
    John Hiemstra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady,
    Sounds awesome. I live vicariously through you when I read these posts...I can feel the bucket showers....i remember them dearly.....
    Take care and have a great time...soak it all up!!!
    You're in our thoughts!!!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders.

    Thanks you Dr Purva Pius Loan service for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete