Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

So, this past Saturday was Father's Day here in Honduras and I thought I'd share some pictures of our little celebration.  We had a special lunch on Friday at the office followed by a giant cake!  I was in charge of buying the cake so that was fun.  The only hitch was that I didn't realize we were only expecting ten people and the cake I picked out was supposed to feed 25-30 people.  Needless to say, we ate a LOT of cake that day and there was still leftovers to take home. 




Father's Day in Honduras isn't nearly as big as Mother's Day (which is celebrated in May, just like in Canada).  However, this holiday is still an important celebration for families in the community.  In many homes fathers are either uninvolved with their children or totally absent.  Unfortunately incidences of domestic violence, child abuse and alcoholism are pretty common.  It is really a privilege if a family has a stable and loving father-figure in their home.  At church, some women came forward to give heartfelt thanks to all the wonderful fathers and role models in the community.  It really made me think about their influence on the father's of the next generation and about the future of the typical Honduran household.  It also made me miss my own dad so, of course, I gave him a call later on Sunday afternoon!


No comments:

Post a Comment